How to find my complete tax history

Written by nicole crawford | 13/05/2017

Contacting the IRS directly is the easiest and most dependable way to find your complete tax history. The IRS offers two options for receiving a copy of your tax history: by phone or by mail. The best news? It's free.

Call 1-800-829-1040.

Listen to the options and choose "Questions about your personal income taxes." Press 2.

Press 2 again ("For questions about a form you have already submitted, your tax history or payment").

Press 3 ("For all questions, including tax history and payment").

Press 2 ("For all other questions, including tax history and payment").

You will be prompted to enter your Social Security number and address. Then you will be given a wait time. This could be quite long, so be prepared. When your wait is up, request transcripts of your tax history from the IRS agent who answers.

Log onto,,id=110571,00.html

Open the link titled IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).

Print this form, and fill it out.

Mail the form to the location that applies to you (locations are listed on the second page of the form). You should receive your tax history in about two weeks.

Things you need

  • Phone (if you choose this method)
  • IRS Form 4506T, "Request for Transcript of Tax Return"
  • Pen

Show MoreHide

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.