The Singer Deluxe Knitting Machine is a toy. It is meant to inspire little boys and girls to get interested in fibre arts. It works on the principle of every other knitting machine, but without the breadth of items that can be produced. The machine retails for under £19, so this may be an interesting beginner machine. It can lead to either using two knitting needles or looking into carriage knitting machines.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Double-eyed stitching needle
- Two-ply knitting yarn
Build either a tube or rectangle of stockinet stitching row upon row as you turn the crank of the knitting machine. Attach the tension arm to the machine correctly because if it is too loose, the knitting will fall out of the hooks; if it is too tight, the knitting device will jam and may tear the yarn.
Find the correct tension of each type of yarn by knitting a few rows and adjusting tension, if necessary. This kit comes with two hanks of eyelash yarn, difficult yarn under the best of circumstances because it tangles and rips easily. Substitute a two-ply acrylic yarn and avoid the pitfalls that are inherent with a fancy yarn, especially if you are a beginner.
Begin to knit the first row by turning the crank. Old stitches are swept out of the needle teeth and the new length of yarn is deposited into the needle teeth. Reel a few feet of yarn off the ball to ensure that the tension arm works smoothly.
Continue to crank the machine and knit row upon row until you near the end of your project. Cut a 24-inch tail of yarn between the project and the ball of yarn. Thread the tail of yarn onto a double-eyed needle and turn the crank in the opposite direction to allow the project to fall off the needles. Push the double-eyed needle through all of the open stitches to keep it from ravelling.
Use a crochet hook and begin at the first stitch you pushed the double-eyed needle through. Finish the raw edge by taking a single crochet in each stitch using the long tail of yarn. Bind off. Use the long tail of yarn left and stitch your tube or rectangle together or to another length of knitted material.
Use the tube of yarn to make a scrunch sock when you bind off the toe end and stitch it together. Leave both ends of the tube open for leg warmers. Pull the double-eyed needle tightly through the end stitches to form the top of a cap. Use a rectangular piece to make a short scarf or a cowl. Stitch several rectangles together and make a shawl.
Tips and warnings
- This kind of knitting machine seems like magic but it is really meant for a child. Investigate a carriage-type knitting machine that can handle up to 200 stitches at the single sweep of the carriage. If you are more of the hands-on type of knitter, make your next project something you do with only two hand-held needles.
- When the knitting starts coming out of the back of the machine don't pull on it or you will disturb the tension and the yarn will fall off the teeth. Balance is crucial with this knitting device and it is best to leave everything alone as long as the rows of knitting keep coming with every turn of the crank.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for