The most common complaint of those with grey or white hair is the yellow tint that develops on grey hair. The yellow tint often starts out subtly, but in time, the yellow tone can become very apparent. It only gets deeper if nothing is done to stop it. The yellow tone is caused by mineral deposits that stain the outside cuticle of the hair. Everyone has mineral deposits on their cuticles, but the deposits are not visible because the colour of the hair masks them. Grey hair has no tonal value and cannot mask the yellowish colour caused by the deposits. Fortunately, there is an easy way to get rid of the yellow.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clarifying shampoo
- Deep-cleaning treatment
- Hair colour bottle
- Plastic cap
- Hair dryer
- Shampoo and conditioner for grey hair
Shampoo the hair using warm water and a deep-cleaning, clarifying shampoo. Lather well, and allow it to sit for five minutes before rinsing. Towel dry the hair.
Mix the deep-cleaning treatment (ask your local beauty supply store for a product recommendation based on your needs) or a similar powder deep-clarifying treatment, according to the instructions on the packaging. Usually, the directions call for the addition of 59.1ml of water to the powder mixture. Pour the powder into the colour bottle, and use the bottle measuring grid to add 56.7gr of water. Mix well.
Apply the treatment liberally to the hair, making sure that all of the hair, from root to tip, is completely saturated. Put on the plastic cap, and apply even heat to the outside of the cap using a hair dryer. Leave the treatment on the hair for 10 to 15 minutes.
Rinse with warm water. Apply the special shampoo for grey hair. Lather, and wait five minutes. Rinse with warm water. Apply the conditioner, and wait two minutes before rinsing.
Dry and style as desired.
Tips and warnings
- You should notice a difference in the colour of your hair after the treatment; however, it takes several shampoos and treatments to remove all of the yellow from grey hair. Use the special silver-hair shampoo each time you shampoo, and perform clarifying treatments each week until the yellow is completely gone. Once you are rid of the yellow, use the silver shampoo weekly to maintain the colour of your hair.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for