Pain behind the eyes may be caused by an infection, chronic sinusitis, eye strain, headache or elevation of eye pressure caused by glaucoma. Your pain may be dull or throbbing and severe. It may affect one eye or both. You need to find out the cause of your eye pain and get treatment, because if you don't, you risk vision loss. Steps may be taken to stop pain behind the eyes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Doctor visit
- Glaucoma medication
- Pain reliever
Get a checkup. Your doctor will need to determine the cause of the pain behind your eyes. If he determines the pain is related to an eye condition, he may send you to an eye doctor. He may also recommend X-rays of your sinuses and head.
If an antibiotic is prescribed, take it as directed. Your eye pain may be caused by a bacterial infection of your upper respiratory tract or sinuses. When your infection is resolved, the pain and pressure will stop.
Try a decongestant. Eye pain is frequently caused by congestion and blocked sinuses. Over-the-counter decongestants are effective in reducing congestion and relieving eye pain and pressure.
Use your eye drops. If your doctor determines the pain behind your eyes is caused by glaucoma, he will prescribe eye drops. Once your glaucoma is under control, your eye pain will stop. Glaucoma causes an increase in eye pressure, and the eye drops will reduce the pressure.
Take a pain reliever. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, may help, especially if your pain is associated with a headache. Anti-inflammatory medications may also provide relief. If these pain medications are ineffective, ask your doctor about prescription pain medication.
Tips and warnings
- Gently apply a cold compress to your eyes, which can provide soothing relief. Keep the compress cold by refreshing it with cold water. Repeat the application as often as desired.
- If you experience throbbing pain behind your eyes or blurred vision, seek medical attention immediately. This may indicate a serious eye condition.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for