Ski blades, sometimes referred to as snow blades, are short skis. Many winter sports connoisseurs favour ski blades over conventional skis for their improved portability, balance and ability to carve through snow. Ski blades are also often used as a learning tool for young children before they advance to regular skis. Ski blades differ dramatically from conventional skis and their sizes do not correlate. However, downhill ski boots can be used with ski blade bindings.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ski blades
- Tape measure
- Bathroom scale
Choose the right vendor from which to purchase your ski blades. First-time users are often encourage to go to a ski shop to get the right feel for their first pair as opposed to purchasing ski blades unseen from an online vendor.
Choose a style of snow blade. Unlike skis and snowboards, whose lengths are determined largely by height and weight, snow blade length can vary depending on how you intended to use them. Longer snow blades improve turning and balance, better for slower-paced users in powdery conditions. Shorter snow blades are more agile and manoeuvrable for freestyle riding and tricks in packed-snow conditions.
Measure your height and weight. Adult-sized snow blades are recommended for individuals taller than 5 feet weighing more than 45.4 Kilogram. Adult-sized blades vary in length from approximately 75 to 99 centimetres. For shorter or lightweight ski bladers, a children's size is recommended.
Choose your length of ski blade based on how you intend to use your ski blades and the most common terrain you intend to ski.
Tips and warnings
- Riding on improperly sized ski blades could result in injury. Ask for help when choosing your first snow blades from a trained professional or experienced friend.
- Ski blades are not manufactured with safety release clips that free your boots during falls, so there is a higher risk of lower-leg injury with ski blades than with traditional alpine skis.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for