The medical term for tailbone is coccyx. Your coccyx is located at the bottom of your vertebrae. A person can bruise, crack, and even break his tailbone. This can happen because of a fall, or more commonly, during childbirth. A cracked tailbone is extremely painful, so you will want to get it healed as quickly as possible.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Ice pack
- Wedge-shaped cushion
- Sitz bath
Place an ice pack on the tailbone area for the first three to five days after the injury has occurred. Follow the cycle of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. The ice pack will help reduce swelling and inflammation so it can heal faster. It will also numb the area so that you are not in as much pain.
Take one ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) tablet every six hours. Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that will help get rid of your inflammation and pain.
Use a wedge-shaped cushion whenever you need to sit. This cushion has a space cut out of the back where your tailbone would be. That keeps you from putting any pressure on the tailbone, which will help it heal faster.
Take regular sitz baths. This works to allow the muscles near your tailbone to relax. The more rest and relaxation your tailbone gets, the quicker it will heal. You can purchase a sitz bath at any pharmacy. It is a small tub that fits over your toilet. Pour warm water in, and then sit in it. The water will cover your tailbone, and any excess water will flow into the toilet. The warm water will work to relax your muscles so you can get better faster.
Sleep on your side. This puts the least amount of pressure on your tailbone.
Tips and warnings
- Broken tailbones heal on their own. You just need to do your part not to aggravate the injury, but to give it rest so that it can heal quickly.
- Your tailbone will probably take two months to completely heal. If you need stronger pain medications, talk to your doctor.
- Constipation can be an issue with anyone who has broken a tailbone. It can cause extreme pain. Drink plenty of water and eat foods high in fibre.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for