Oxygen bleach is also known as sodium percarbonate, which when dissolved in water forms a chemical reaction that releases hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate. Oxygen bleach has many uses including, treating fruits and vegetables, killing bacteria and treating stains. Oxygen bleach is also non-toxic and environmentally safe. You can make your own form of oxygen bleach that is just as effective as the commercial brands, using products that are found in your own kitchen cabinets.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Baking soda
- Plastic funnel
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Pump sprayer
- Scrub brush
Fill a spray bottle with one cup of hot water. Distilled water is a better choice for your oxygen bleach recipe because it is free of the minerals found in tap and bottled waters.
Add a half cup of baking soda to the spray bottle of water. You can use a small plastic funnel to guide the baking soda into the mouth of the bottle to reduce mess.
Pour a half cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide into the spray bottle. You can use the plastic funnel to add the hydrogen peroxide, if necessary.
Spray the solution on clothes to release stains before laundering. Spray the solution on fruits and vegetables to keep them fresher longer. You can also spray the homemade oxygen bleach on grout, lawn furniture and anything else that needs to be whitened, brightened or sanitised.
Mix a quart of hot water in a bucket. Add two cups of baking soda and two cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the hot water in the bucket. Use the mixture to clean your deck with a scrub brush, or pour it into a pump sprayer to spray your deck rails. You can also use the solution to soak your clothes.
Tips and warnings
- Homemade oxygen bleach also works effectively to remove blood, wine, fruit juice and wine stains from upholstery and fabrics.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide any stronger than 3%. Higher concentrations can be caustic. You should also never mix vinegar with the hydrogen peroxide when you are creating home cleaning recipes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for