Mucus can in the respiratory system can sometimes accumulate and block the airways. The build-up of mucus also allows bacteria to settle and multiply, which can cause infections of the lungs such as pneumonia and bronchitis. By employing all the methods below, you can effectively and easily clear your lungs of mucus.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Eucalyptus oils
- Spicy food
- Pineapple juice
Take an expectorant such as Mucinex or Robitussin. This medication loosens the mucus and forces it out of your lungs. Expectorants are available through a prescription or over-the-counter. Make sure to read and follow the dosage instructions in the box before taking the medication.
Inhale the vapours of eucalyptus oils. Eucalyptus vapours can help soothe your lungs and loosen mucus so you can expel it by coughing. Add 2 to 3 drops of eucalyptus oil in a clean bowl of boiling water. Carefully place the bowl on a table and close your eyes and lean over it. Immediately cover your head with a thick dry towel and deeply inhale the steam for 15 minutes or until the water is no longer hot.
Drink one cup of hot ginger tea. Ginger tea coats your throat and helps loosen up the mucus membranes in your respiratory system so that you can easily eliminate the mucus by coughing. Slice half a ginger root into small pieces and put them in a cup of boiling water. Stir and drink slowly.
Consume foods that are spicy. Spices such as chillies can help loosen up mucus in your lungs. Indian and Thai dishes are rich in spices.
Drink one cup of unconcentrated pineapple juice. This juice is rich in ascorbic acid (vitamin C), an enzyme which can break down the mucus in your lungs, making it easier to clear. Avoid buying pineapple juice in the can, since the ascorbic acid enzymes tend to stick to the aluminium. Look for the bottled type instead.
Tips and warnings
- Consult your physician immediately if you develop a fever. A fever indicates a viral or bacterial infection which needs immediate treatment.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- "Medical Diagnosis and Treatment," Stephen J. McPhee, MD, Publisher: McGraw-Hill 2006
- "Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Pulmonary Medicine", Michael Hanley,MD, Publisher: McGraw-Hill Medical Oct 17, 2003
- "The Complete Guide To Herbal Medicines," Juan R. Avila and Charles W. Fetrow, Publisher: Pocket Books, Aug 29, 2000