You've heard that raw diets are best for your dog, but you still want to feed a mixture of kibble with the raw diet. Can you still do this, and, if you can, how should you feed your whippet? The good news is that when you mix dog food kibble that is complete and balanced, you can help ensure that your whippet is getting all of the nutrition needed. Dog food that is formulated according to AAFCO (Association of Animal Feed Control Officials) guidelines will help provide nutrition that might be lacking in raw food. The recipe that follows will provide a two-day supply of food with the ingredients provided. The directions are for feeding one meal.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1/2 cup organic carrots diced
- 1/2 cup organic green beans
- BALANCE IT supplement
- 2 cups premium dog food kibble
- 1 cup organic whole cottage cheese
- 2 cooked eggs
- 1 cup raw minced meat
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- Containers for holding the ingredients
- Dog bowl
Mix carrots and green beans in a plastic bag. Wrap up and store.
Dice cooked eggs with shells on, and put in a small container.
Measure in your whippet's bowl 1/4 cup raw meat, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup vegetables, 1/2 cup kibble, 1/4 teaspoon safflower oil, and 1/4 of the egg mixture.
Add BALANCE IT supplement, according to directions on the package.
Mix well in bowl and feed your whippet.
Feed your whippet twice daily, morning and evening.
Tips and warnings
- Vary meats, fats and even kibble to be sure that your whippet is getting all of the nutrition needed.
- Store perishable food in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.
- Refrigerate or throw away any uneaten portion to avoid bacterial growth.
- Raw food, in particular, raw meat, can be a source of bacterial contaminants such as E. coli and salmonella, all of which can make your dog sick, or even infect you through your dog. If you have a compromised immune system or are concerned about contracting a bacterial infection or parasites, do not feed raw meat. Instead, cook the meat.
- Never feed raw salmon, raw pork or raw game to your whippet, as these contain dangerous parasites that can kill your dog.
- Do not feed your whippet macadamia nuts, raisins, grapes, onions, garlic or chocolate, as these are considered poisonous to dogs.
- Do not feed raw eggs, as the raw egg whites will cause a biotin deficiency.
- Have a veterinary nutritionist examine any raw diet you are feeding your dog for a prolonged period of time to ensure proper nutrition.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for