When choosing exterior paint colours for your home, you should consider all the architectural features. This includes brickwork and masonry, wood decks and one element many people forget--the roof. Luckily most roofs are fairly neutral in colour, although some tile roofs are more vivid. Matching paint colours to your roof so your house has maximum curb appeal is easy once you understand a few basic colour facts.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Test quarts of paint colours
Stay in the same colour family. If your roof is grey, use cool blues, greens and greys for your exterior paint colours. If your roof is brown, stick with warmer colours such as tan, gold and shades of brown.
Avoid monotony by choosing shades that contrast with your roof. To give an impression of height, match the siding colour to the roof but paint the trim, gutters and fascia in a deeper shade to provide a crisp contrast and accentuate details.
To make a large, rambling one story house look larger and longer, choose a colour that provides contrast to the roof colour. For instance, choose a rich tan paint to go with a very dark brown roof, or a medium grey with a pale grey roof. This draws the eye horizontally and emphasises a long, low profile.
Accentuate a red tile roof by choosing warm Southwestern shades like sand or light terracota coloured paint.
Use trim colours to provide punches of colour and bring out details. A distinctive red or celery green door, burgundy or hunter green shutters or glossy black or deep plum wrought iron will make your house distinctive without looking garish.
Tips and warnings
- Buy test quarts of both siding and trim colour and paint them on the house before purchasing all the paint.
- Avoid using complementary colours for the siding or main colour. For instance, painting siding a light sage green with a red-toned roof will clash terribly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for