A dry throat can be irritating and uncomfortable, even sore. It is a sign that you are dehydrated. Your dry throat also can be a symptom of a virus or infection, or another underlying problem. Pay attention to other signs and symptoms to determine if the dry throat is a warning signal. You may simply have neglected your fluid intake and your throat is signalling that your body is in need of hydration. Meanwhile, you can soothe your dry throat without creating mucus in several ways.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Lemon juice
Drink cool fluids. Drink several glass of cool or iced water a day to soothe your dry throat. During the low-humidity periods of winter your throat is apt to dry out. Summertime heat can also dehydrate your body.
Make hot lemonade. Simply add a healthy tablespoon of lemon juice to 236ml of boiling water in a mug. Add two teaspoons of your favourite sweetener for this tasty throat-soothing drink. It works well for colds and sore throats also.
Gargle. Mix a cup of warm water with about a half teaspoon of salt. Gargle and spit out the salt water. Try to keep from drinking anything for a half hour after gargling to allow the salt to soothe your throat.
Use cough drops. Choose cough drops, vitamin C drops, honey or peppermint drops to suck on to soothe and lubricate your dry throat. Be sure to follow up with a cool drink of water.
Make hot teas. Drink hot tea several times a day to soothe your dry throat without producing mucus. Add honey if you like; it soothes sore throats. Liquorice tea is known to reduce mucus.
Try cold or frozen treats. Eat frozen juice treats or cold gelatin for a soothing refreshment for a sore, dry throat. The cold or icy liquid helps to lubricate your throat.
Increase the humidity in your home during the dry season with a humidifier unit placed in an area where it can permeate the dry air. Breathe in steam to help reduce mucus, when sitting over a bowl of hot water with a towel draped on your head, in a hot shower, or from a boiling kettle on the stove.
Tips and warnings
- Consider the reason for your dry throat. Smoking and drinking alcohol can contribute to a dry throat. If you are waking with a severe dry throat and family members report that you are snoring, keep a glass of water on the nightstand to sip during wakeful periods.
- If dry throat continues for several days, is accompanied by fever, chills, or coughing, see a doctor. If the throat becomes painful, you may have a virus or infection that needs to be attended to. Sleep apnoea, a serious medical condition, can cause a dry throat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for