Almost from the time that microwave ovens were introduced to the public, there have been speciality dishes that allow the cook to grill meat in the microwave. Depending on the make and model of your microwave grill pan, you can be grilling meat in two to 10 minutes without the hassle of setting up the outdoor grill. Microwave grilling is fast and easy--you can grill steak for dinner in less than 15 minutes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Microwave grill pan
- Non-stick spray
- Meat thermometer
- 1 inch thick steaks
Spray the grill pan with non-stick spray.
Preheat the grill pan in the microwave on high for 2 to 10 minutes depending on the manufacturers instructions.
Place the meat on the grill pan. Close the lid of the pan if your model has one.
Microwave the meat for 5 minutes on high for rare steaks, 6 to 7 minutes for medium and 9 minutes for well done. Turn the steaks halfway through the cooking time if your grill pan does not have a grill top section.
Test the meat with an internal meat thermometer. A rare steak should read 62.8 degrees Celsius; a medium steak 71.1 degrees Celsius and a well done steak should read higher than 76.7 degrees Celsius.
Tips and warnings
- If you have lost the instructions for your grill pan, you can use this test to determine how long to preheat the pan. Spray with non-stick spray and heat for two minutes. Remove the pan from the microwave and lay one slice of white bread on the pan. Close the lid, if your model has one, and microwave on high for a minute. Lift the lid. If the bread has grill marks, then the pan is preheated enough. If no grill marks are present, repeat using a preheat time of four minutes. Add an additional two minutes to the preheat time until grill marks are left on the bread.
- Meats that are less tender are not recommended for microwave cooking or grilling. These meats need a longer cooking time to tenderise.
- Thinner steaks will need less cooking time, while steaks thicker than one inch will need more to cook properly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for