With their creamy texture and satisfying taste, mashed potatoes complement a broad range of main dishes. Mashed potatoes can easily be made ahead of time and reheated when needed. Because mashed potatoes will absorb liquids when being stored, make them with more liquid than usual. Any favourite family recipe for mashed potatoes should be adaptable to make ahead as long as you keep this in mind. The convenience of having a dish ready to go leaves you free to concentrate on enjoying your guests.
Things you need
3 kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
Large mixing bowl
1 litre whole milk, room temperature
500 ml cream, room temperature
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
Sea salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Large oven-proof casserole dish
Place the potatoes in the pot or saucepan and fill with enough water to cover them. Bring them to a boil over high heat.
Continue boiling until the potatoes are tender -- about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a large colander.
Transfer the potatoes to the large mixing bowl. Add the milk and butter, incorporating them with the masher.
Add the cream while continuing to mash. Add salt and pepper, tasting for quantity.
Transfer the mash to the casserole dish and cover with foil. Store in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheat uncovered at 180C for 1.5 hours or until hot in the centre.
- The potatoes should be wet when you've finished mashing to ensure a creamy consistency when reheating. Do not overmash or the potatoes will be gummy. Add the cloves from a roasted, pureed garlic bulb along with the salt and pepper, if desired. This recipe makes enough to feed 12 as a side dish.
Tips and Warnings
- The potatoes should be wet when you've finished mashing to ensure a creamy consistency when reheating.
- Do not overmash or the potatoes will be gummy.
- Add the cloves from a roasted, pureed garlic bulb along with the salt and pepper, if desired.
- This recipe makes enough to feed 12 as a side dish.
Things you need
- 3 kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Large pot
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 litre whole milk, room temperature
- 500 ml cream, room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Potato masher
- Large oven-proof casserole dish
- Aluminium foil