Snakes and Ladders is a classic board game that kids have played for decades. You can make your own version of this well-loved game with a few simple materials and some creativity.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Piece of posterboard, at least 18-by-18 inches
- Permanent markers
- Construction paper
- Small game pieces (such as coins)
Use the ruler to divide the poster into 10 equal sections by drawing nine vertical lines. Then draw nine horizontal lines equally spaced from each other, to form 100 sections, or squares.
Starting from the bottom left-hand corner, number each square consecutively until you reach the end of the row. Then start from the right side of the second-to-bottom row and continue numbering to the left. Follow this pattern until you reach the top of the board, labelling the last square "100."
Draw some snakes and ladders of different sizes on the construction paper. Only one snake and one ladder should be very long, and several should be very short. Aim to have six to nine snakes and the same number of ladders. Make the snakes similar sizes to the ladders.
Cut them out and fit them on the game board (posterboard) at different angles. Placing them at a more vertical angle will result in more squares skipped or lost. Placing them more horizontally will have less of an effect.
Set aside game pieces (coins or buttons work perfectly) for the game, as well as a set of dice, or at least one die.
Tips and warnings
- To make the game more interesting for kids, try cutting out pictures of the kids themselves, and place them at the bottoms of the slides and at the tops of the ladders.
- If you are making the game board with kids, make sure that younger kids use safety scissors to cut out the slides and the ladders.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for