New towels soften over time with use and washing, but the initial chaffing from the rough fabric can be uncomfortable and irritate sensitive skin. Fabric softeners are a big no-no because they reduce the absorbency of the towels, and washing the towels 20 or more times before you use them is a waste of time and money. Here is a method that not only softens new cotton towels but also helps prevent colour fading.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Color-safe laundry detergent
Place the towels in the washing machine, and set the machine for a regular wash cycle. Use cool water for both the wash and rinse cycles.
Add a colour-safe laundry detergent and start the washing machine.
At the beginning of the rinse cycle, add 1 cup of vinegar to the towels. If you have more than one rinse cycle, add the vinegar during the last rinse cycle.
Dry the towels on the highest dryer setting.
Tips and warnings
- A cup of vinegar added during the last rinse cycle will also keep clothes free from static and lint.
- Vinegar is also a good choice for killing bacteria on items such as cleaning rags and baby items.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for