Over time, a house door handle can come loose and come off. The house door handle will continue to come off, even after putting the handle back on. The locking mechanism on the house door handle might fail to properly open and latch the door. Typically the problem is the result of a missing or loose screw in the house door plate. You can save money by repairing this problem instead of purchasing a new door or hiring a carpenter.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Power screwdriver
- Replacement screws
- Wood putty
- Putty knife
- Metal and wood epoxy or superglue
Examine the house door handle for external screws. Remove these screws to completely loosen the door handle. If there is no external screw, hold the outside of the house door handle still and turn the inside hand clockwise. Unscrew it with a firm, but not extreme, amount of force. Unscrew the inside door handle completely and remove it.
Remove the house door plate using a screwdriver. Fill in any screw holes with putty. Allow the putty to drive a few hours. Replace the plate after the putty dries. Drive in the screws using a power screwdriver. Use a metal and wood rated epoxy or superglue if it does not use screws, but simply snaps in or slides off. Apply a thin coat to the plate backing and firmly hold it against the door for three to five minutes.
Put the house door handle pieces back into place. Work in reverse order to replace all the parts.
Apply a screw locker fluid to the screw if the handle has an external screw, following the product instructions. Use a Phillips-head screwdriver and turn the screw clockwise until it stops turning. Allow three to 12 hours before using the door handle to allow the screw locker to dry completely.
Tips and warnings
- Test to make sure that the door handle is functional and no longer loose. You will need to fully replace the door handle if you are still having problems.
- Avoid simply tightening screws with stripped threads. Replace all screws on the house door handle.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for