Wood mites are tiny, harmless bugs that often live in old, damp wood. They usually don't bother humans, unless you are a snake owner or cigar aficionado. Wood mites often invade a snake tank if it contains wood-based substrate, such as from aspen or bark. Though they pose no direct threat to pet snakes, they should be eradicated anyway for the sake of good hygiene. Wood mites also infest cigar humidors. The process of getting rid of wood mites is similar to removing other mites and will not require professional assistance.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mite insecticide spray
- Hypoaspis mites
Inspect the area thoroughly and locate any mites. Wood mites are tiny white bugs, similar to fleas and other mites. They feed on decomposing wood, but they are not termites.
Purchase an anti-mite insecticide at your local gardening or home supply store. Prevent-A-Mite and Black-Knight are two brands suggested by Rcreptiles.com. These insecticides will get rid of other types of mites as well, including nasty reptile mites that suck the blood of snakes.
Remove any mite-infested items and clean the area. Spray the insecticide products from a safe distance to avoid inhaling.
Freeze the mites. If the mites have invaded your cigar humidor, place it in the freezer for a few hours. Mite eggs cannot survive in cold climates.
Purchase hypoaspis mites. Available at many gardening supply stores and online, the hypoaspis mite is a predatory mite that will quickly consume the wood mites. They won't invade a snake cage or humidor themselves because as soon as they've consumed all the wood mites, they die off in a matter of days.
Tips and warnings
- Keep areas where you suspect or notice wood mites clean. Wipe down the interior of your cigar humidor often and keep the temperature at 65 to 70F.
- Reptile mites, unlike wood mites, are cause for concern if you notice them in your snake's cage. They are black, brown or red, while wood mites are white.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for