There are few things in life more annoying than a dry, unproductive cough. It is the kind of cough that keeps you up most of the night and causes everyone to stare with that dreadful glare. The goal is to rid yourself of this annoyance, but how can you do it? You might have a cold, flu, allergies, asthma or gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD). The possible causes extend beyond these examples. With the help of your medical professional, discover the cause of this dry cough and then choose the right treatment.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cool mist vaporiser
- Sugarless cough drops
- Cough suppressant
- Green tea
Add moisture to your sleeping environment. Use a cool mist vaporiser.
Increase your fluid intake. Water is best. Avoid carbonated, caffeinated drinks, because they can cause dehydration.
Take a cough suppressant and expectorant product as recommended by your medical professional.
Follow up with your medical professional within ten days, if your cough does not improve or if additional symptoms arise.
Tips and warnings
- Hot green tea is soothing for a throat irritated from coughing. Green tea contains antioxidants that boost your immune system.
- A cough accompanied by high fever and vomiting may be an indication of a serious medical condition. Contact your doctor at once.
- Do not give children under the age of 4 cough or cold products. According to the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, these products do not help children under the age of 4. Consult your doctor about the best course of action.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for