Antique tapestries can add warmth, colour, and depth to any living space. They make a beautiful addition to any room and are extremely valuable and fragile, some antique tapestries are considered to be priceless. It is very important to care for your antique tapestries properly and exercise the utmost care when cleaning them.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Soft bristled brush
- Vacuum cleaner
- Upholstery attachment
Remove all jewellery from your person before handling the tapestry. A loose bracelet or ring could get caught on the textile causing an irreparable tear.
Wash your hands thoroughly. This will prevent any dirt or oil from your skin from transferring to the tapestry.
Lightly dust the tapestry with a soft bristled brush to remove embedded dust or debris. Do not apply too much pressure as this could stress the textile and cause wear on the fabric leading to fraying or tearing.
Vacuum both sides, front and back, of the tapestry with the upholstery attachment of a vacuum cleaner. This will remove any loose dust or debris from the fibres of the textile. This should only be done one or two times a year.
Take the tapestry to a professional textile restorer or antique tapestry cleaner if additional cleaning is needed. Never attempt to clean an antique tapestry at home with any cleaning agent.
Tips and warnings
- Maintain your antique tapestry in a clean, temperature controlled environment for maximum preservation.
- Never attempt to repair an antique tapestry at home, you could cause irreparable harm and greatly decrease its value.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for