Sitting outside in the warm sun under a blue sky is one of the simple pleasures of home and garden. But neighbourhood residents, views and noises can detract from some of that enjoyment. It's easy to make an attractive portable privacy trellis to use on the patio, deck or in the back yard to screen a space and plant flowers or vines.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3 48-inch by 18-inch panels of 3/4 inch-thick plywood
- 2 18-inch by 18-inch panels of 3/4 inch-thick plywood
- 6 14-inch long 1-inch by 1-inch pieces of lumber
- 2 46-inch long 1-inch by 1-inch pieces of lumber
- 2 68-inch long 2-inch by 2-inch pieces of lumber
- 1 24-inch by 48-inch panel of lattice
- Power drill with drill and screw bits
- Galvanised screws
- Hammer and finishing nails
- Tape measure
- 4 casters
- 2 decorative finials
- Power sander, sanding block or sandpaper
- White paint
- Landscaping plastic
Put one of the 48-inch by 18-inch panels on the ground or on a stable work surface. Place one of the 14-inch long 1-inch by 1-inch pieces onto the 18-inch side of the panel flush with one of the 48-inch side and 3/4 inch in from the 18-inch edge. Screw it in to the panel. Repeat on the other 18-inch side of the panel. Do the same with a second 48-inch panel.
Affix each of the two 18-inch by 18-inch panels to the 48-inch by 18-inch panels to form a box by screwing them to the inside one-inch by one-inch support pieces. Turn the assembled box over.
Take the last 48-inch by 18-inch panel and drop it into the box to sit on the one-inch supports. Screw the last two 14-inch long one-inch by one-inch pieces onto each end of the floor piece into the interior supports, and screw the two 46-inch long one-inch by one-inch pieces along the long sides of the bottom of the box, into the front and back panels.
Drill drainage holes into the box bottom, and affix the casters into the horizontal floor supports. Turn the box right side up and set aside.
Place the two 68-inch long two-inch by two-inch pieces on the ground four feet apart. Place the lattice panel on top of the two 68-inch supports, even with the top edges, and screw them onto the supports. Affix the decorative finials to the top of each support piece.
Affix the completed trellis to the back of the planter box with screws. Sand off all rough edges, and paint the box, trellis and finials with two coats of white paint
Line the box with landscaping plastic and fill with potting soil and plant with flowers or vining plants, or use potted plants set into the box.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for