Psoriasis is a skin condition sometimes occurring on the scalp. The symptoms of this chronic condition on the scalp are redness, itching and scaling skin. While a doctor can prescribe a medication to treat the symptoms of psoriasis, there is no cure. Recently, however, there has been research into the natural supplement turmeric (curcumin). By using turmeric correctly, some people have claimed that its anti-inflammatory properties have successfully reduced their psoriasis symptoms.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Turmeric extract supplement powder
- Turmeric extract pills
Purchase turmeric in supplemental form from a natural foods store or in your local grocery store. While it is a member of the ginger family (and seen most frequently in curries), the amount of turmeric needed to have an affect on psoriasis is often more than you would find naturally in foods containing curry and cumin.
Consume one teaspoon of turmeric powder per day, unless otherwise advised on the instruction guide for the specific supplement you purchased. If you are put off by the taste of the powdered turmeric extract, simply add it to your food to disguise the taste.
Take one to two supplemental turmeric pills per day, which you can purchase at a natural food store in the alternative or natural medicine section. Make sure that you look at the label closely and that the product actually contains turmeric extract, which boasts the anti-inflammatory property.
Increase the amount of turmeric extract (in such things as curry and cumin) that you consume in your daily food intake, especially as turmeric has been shown to have other health benefits, such as lowering cholesterol and improving the strength of blood vessels.
Tips and warnings
- The Herbal Supplements online guide suggests that you investigate any supplement or pill closely to ensure it actually contains turmeric extract. If you're not sure whether you have chosen a supplement from a reputable manufacturer, you should ask for advice at the local food store or natural medicine store.
- Do not apply turmeric extract powder topically to your scalp. It must be ingested to activate its anti-inflammatory properties, and applying it directly to your scalp or as a paste could result in additional irritation to your scalp.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for