How to certify your kitchen for a home bakery

Updated April 08, 2017

Opening a home bakery can be a complicated process. Each state has its own laws governing the opening of an in-home business and kitchen. Furthermore, laws may vary from city to city. There are many legal issues of insurance, taxes and certification that must be addressed state by state. In almost all locations you will be required to have your commercial kitchen certified by your state's department of health.

Consult the local commerce department, SCORE agency (Counselors to America's Small Businesses), or the SBA (Small Business Association) to find resources on whom to be in contact with for certification and the legality of operating a business from your home. Before considering kitchen certification, state, city and even neighbourhood laws must be looked into to find out if there are laws against operating a small business from your home.

Convert your kitchen into a commercial kitchen. Most requirements for commercial kitchens include regulations for sink size, counter space and floor space. Every state, city, and even county in the United States has variant regulations for the requirements of a commercial kitchen. To inquire into the regulations of your given zone, get in contact with your city or county planning department. Licensing information can also be found at each state's department of licensing websites. The department of licensing of your given state will also be able to provide you with information on food safety requirements including inspections, tax and insurance requirements, licensing and laws.

Get inspected. Once you have made the proper legal inquiries into your rights to open and maintain a home business in your area, you will need to have your commercial in-home kitchen inspected by your state's department of health. Inspections are often meticulous, however if the guidelines are met--again, they are severely state specific--you will have your home bakery producing morning baguettes for the masses in no time.

Things You'll Need

  • Commercial kitchen
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article


About the Author

Mallory Ferland has been writing professionally since her start in 2009 as an editorial assistant for Idaho-based Premier Publishing. Her writing and photography have appeared in "Idaho Cuisine" magazine, "Spokane Sizzle" and various online publications. She graduated from Gonzaga University in 2009 with Bachelor of Arts degrees in history and French language and now writes, photographs and teaches English in Sao Paulo, Brazil.