Fitness balls can help to shape your body without a lot of stress on the joints and are easy to use. They can also help weight lifters get more core strength while doing chest or arm exercises. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, the fitness ball can be used for stretching, to increase strength without weights and to increase strength with weights. When the ball is new or needs more air, pumping it up is easy.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fitness ball
- Air pump
Buy a fitness ball pump from your favourite sporting goods store or online. There are a few varieties, the foot pump, the electric pump and the hand pump.
Take the fitness ball out of the packaging and decide which pump you'd like to use.
Read the manual to figure out how firm the ball should be. You do not want an over- or under-inflated ball.
Find the hole in the centre of the ball and remove the pin. If it is difficult to remove, you can try pliers. Make sure not to pull out too hard or you could damage the lining of the ball.
Insert the pump's pin into the ball's hole. When you take the pin out and put in the ball's stopper, the ball will lose some air, so its a good idea to pump until the ball is slightly firmer than you want.
Take the pin out and place the ball's stopper into the hole. If it is still a little bit too firm, let out some air by removing the stopper part way until the ball feels just right.
Tips and warnings
- The ball will slowly lose air over time, especially if it gets a lot of use, so it's a good idea to pump the ball up every once in awhile.
- Over-inflating or under-inflating the ball can cause serious injury. Read the manual before pumping.
- Lifting too much weight on the ball can cause the ball to pop. Always make sure the ball is rated for the weight you want to use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for