Create pretty foam flowers with colourful foam sheets and pipe cleaners. Make large or medium sized flowers that can be displayed as a table centrepiece in a vase or planter, attached to gifts and boxes or to decorate frames or place mats with. They can also be made into leis as favours at a themed party. Children and adults will enjoy making these foam flowers in a variety of sizes and designs as ornaments or embellishments.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Coloured foam sheets
- Flower templates
- Leaves templates
- Hole puncher
- Pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Purchase foam sheets in assorted colours at craft shops such as AC Moore (see Resources below).
Draw your own flower templates (see Tips below) or download free templates from the Internet (see Resources below) to print and cut.
Lay flower templates on foam sheets and mark the outlines with a marker. Mark three different foam sheets for a three-layered flower. Cut the flowers marked on foam sheets with scissors. Punch a hole in the centre of each cut foam flower layer with a hole punch.
Lay the template for leaves on the green foam sheets. Mark the outlines of the leaves and cut them with scissors. Put aside.
Align three layers of cut out foam flowers together with the hole punched, but turn each layer a little bit to reveal the different petal colours. Slip three green pipe cleaners through the hole, leaving 2 inches above the flowers. Twist each pipe cleaner separately, winding the top ends in a spiral with your fingers.
Apply a few dabs of hot glue on the top flower and beneath it to secure the pipe cleaners from moving or falling out.
Twist the bottom three pipe cleaners together to make a stem. With hot glue, attach two or three green foam leaves along the stem.
Tips and warnings
- Make your own flower or leaves templates on card stock. Design them so there are petals surrounding a small circle with a total diameter of 5 inches. Draw the templates free hand in differing sizes, or fold the card stock in half to draw half a flower. Cut it out, open to a full flower template and use as instructed in Step 1.
- Each foam flower can be made with three layers of the same colour foam or in mixed colours.
- If a child is participating in this project, an adult should handle the hot glue gun.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for