Finding bubblegum on fabric is disheartening. Whether your kids stuck gum on your furniture upholstery or you find it on an article of clothing, it is important to remove the gum carefully so you don't spread it further onto the fabric. With the right products and methods, including ice, solvent and vinegar, you can remove bubblegum quickly without damaging the fabric.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ice cube
- Butter knife
- Dry cleaning solvent
- Laundry pretreatment spray
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Small bowl
Rub an ice cube over the gum spot for one to two minutes if the gum is still soft. This will harden the bubblegum. Scrape off the bulk of the hardened gum from the fabric using a butter knife.
Dampen a rag with dry cleaning solvent. Sponge the solvent onto the remaining bubblegum stain so it is completely saturated.
Spray a laundry pretreatment spray onto the affected area of the fabric if it is washable. Wash the fabric as usual. If the fabric is not washable, blot the area with a dry rag to absorb the liquid dry cleaning solvent. Alternate sponging on the dry cleaning solvent and blotting with the dry rag until all traces of the bubblegum are gone.
Scrub the bubblegum spot with warm white vinegar for persistent bubblegum spots. Heat ¼ cup of white vinegar in a small bowl for about a minute. Scrub the spot with a toothbrush and the warm vinegar until the gum is gone. Launder washable fabrics as usual. Blot upholstery with a dry rag to absorb the liquid.
Tips and warnings
- If the fabric is washable, inspect it after washing and before placing in the dryer. If any traces of the bubblegum spot remain, repeat sponging with dry cleaning solvent and apply laundry pretreatment spray. Wash the item again. Do not place the fabric in the dryer until you are sure all of the gum is gone, because heat from the dryer will spread the bubblegum.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for