Having wasps in your house can be scary. Wasps are social, numerous, and will sting to protect their territory, especially their nest. If wasps decide to make a home in your fireplace, there are some simple solutions to remedy the problem. The most important step to fix a wasp problem is to identify the type of wasp you are dealing with, as that will help you determine the best strategy. Some wasps are docile while others are aggressive.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Orange oil spray
- Pressurised wasp spray
- Long sleeved shirt
Identify the wasp. Solitary wasps are long, thin, and dark in colour. They are not aggressive.
Spray the infested area/nest with orange oil spray. Orange oil should kill the wasps on contact.
Continue spraying until all the wasps are killed.
Getting Rid of Solitary Wasps
Identify the wasp. Paper wasps can be identified by their nests. The nests look as if they are made of paper and have hexagonal structures similar to that of honey bees. Paper wasps are docile in nature.
Spray the paper wasps with a pressurised wasp insecticide. Use the pressurised spray in order to keep a safe distance from the nest.
Continue spraying until the wasps are killed, stopping in five minute intervals.
Getting Rid of Paper Wasps
Identify the wasps. Yellow jackets are famously thin and have bright yellow stripes. These wasps are extremely territorial and very aggressive.
From a safe distance, spray the wasps with a pressurised wasp insecticide.
Continue spraying until all the wasps are dead, stopping in five minute intervals. You may need to apply spray repeatedly to eliminate large nests.
Getting Rid of Yellow Jackets
Tips and warnings
- Make sure to wear protective clothing to protect against any possible stings. Even though paper wasps and solitary wasps are docile, they still can sting, so use caution.
- Wasps are carnivores. You can help prevents wasps from infesting your fireplace and home by not leaving any food out.
- If you are not sure if you are allergic to wasp stings, call your doctor before trying to get rid of wasps by yourself.
- Yellow jackets are very aggressive. If yellow jackets have infested your fireplace, calling an exterminator may be the best option to prevent against stings.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for