Whether you are going on a camping trip or need an extra bed for a guest to sleep on, inflatable beds or air beds are useful. Because of their portability and comfort, airbeds have been a popular alternative to the standard mattress. However, like most inflatable objects, air beds are prone to leaks. You will be able to find an inflatable air bed leak by using a few simple techniques.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Inflatable bed
- Air pump
Inflate the air bed, preferably with a motorised air pump.
Remove all bed sheets and blankets. Listen for any air leaks coming out of the inflatable air bed. If the leak is large, it will be easier to hear and locate.
Pick up the bed and thoroughly inspect it if you have not located the leak yet. Flip it over and inspect the other side as well. Put your ear next to the bed once more to listen for any escaping air.
Lie on the bed and notice how long it takes for it to deflate. Also note which side of the bed deflates faster than the other. Lie on the other side and change positions to see where the air is coming out. In many cases, you will find the leak after following these steps.
Fill a bucket with soapy water and then soak a sponge in the water. Wring out the sponge but not too much so that it doesn't drip. Rub it all over the air bed so that the entire side is covered with soap and water. According to the Locating Inflatable Air Bed Leaks website (See Resources,) bubbles should form around the area of the leak. If you have a flocked or velvet-topped mattress, only apply the sponge to the underside.
Patch your inflatable air bed leak according to the instructions that came with your inflatable bed or find out where to buy inflatable bed patch kits by going to the Air Bed Patch Kit website (See Resources.)
Tips and warnings
- The top and bottom (not the sides) of the bed have the greatest chance of a leak because this is where the most weight is placed.
- If your bed sits directly on the floor, vacuum first to make sure the area is clear of all sharp objects.
- Avoid stepping or jumping on the bed. This could increase the size of the leak and make it more difficult to patch.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for