Making your own square tablecloth is a fairly easy task and will save you the trouble of finding the right tablecloth in the store. When you make a tablecloth at home, you'll have a much wider array of fabric choices, so you'll be able to match your home decor precisely.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Ironing board
- Straight pins
- Pen and paper
Measure the square tabletop to determine the approximate size of your tablecloth. Measure the diameter of the tablecloth and write down this measurement on a piece of paper.
Add approximately 18 to 24 inches (more or less, depending upon how much fabric you want to overhang the edges of the table) to the measurement. If you arrive at 72 inches, you'll want a 72-inch-by-72-inch piece of fabric for your tablecloth.
Go to the fabric store and select the fabric that you'll use for your tablecloth. The fabric should be non-transparent and it will need to be of sufficient width. If the width is not sufficient, you may need to use special, extra-wide home decor fabric (available at most fabric stores and online).
Iron the fabric on an ironing board to remove creases and wrinkles.
Fold the edge of the fabric --- the overlap should be approximately one inch, as this will be the hem --- and iron along the fold for the length of the fabric. Repeat this for each edge of the fabric.
Place straight pins every two or three inches along the hem on each edge of the tablecloth. The pins should be positioned a little more than three-fourths of an inch in from the fold, which is now at the edge of the fabric.
Sew the hems, with the line of stitching situated approximately one-half of an inch in from the fold that will create the new finished edge of the tablecloth.
Remove the straight pins and re-iron if necessary.
Tips and warnings
- You should avoid making a seam. But if you've fallen in love with a fabric that's not wide enough, place the seam in the centre of the tablecloth and purchase or make an accompanying table runner to conceal the seam.
- Formal tablecloths are typically floor-length; less formal tablecloths typically have approximately one foot of overhang.
- When deciding how much overhang you'd like, remember that you'll need to double the number. So if you want 10 inches of overhang on each edge, you'll need to add 20 inches to both the length and width measurements.
- If you favour a fabric that's transparent, purchase a solid linen fabric to use as a lining.
- Consider colour when purchasing fabric for a tablecloth. White or pastel fabrics will be more prone to show stains.
- Select a fabric that's machine-washable. Tablecloths require regular laundering, and you don't want to incur a dry cleaning bill each and every time you spill something on the table.
- If you have children, you can protect your new tablecloth by purchasing a clear plastic tablecloth to overlay the fabric tablecloth.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for