Mould is a fungus that can become toxic if left to prolonged periods of exposure to moist conditions. If the mould is on a nonporous surface, it is easier to clean than a patch of mould discovered on a porous surface. Wood is very delicate when it comes to cleaning because oversaturation can lead to the warping of wood panelling, cabinets, doors or floors. Household cleaners are not recommended for use on wood panelling because the chemicals can cause discolouration and damage.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vacuum cleaner with a soft-bristle attachment
- Face mask
- Soft cloth or sponge
- Hot, soapy water
- Antibacterial spray
Vacuum the mouldy area gently with the soft-brush attachment while wearing the face mask. This prevents mould spores that can be dispersed into the air from being inhaled and causing health problems.
Dip the cloth or sponge into the hot, soapy water.
Wring out excess water.
Gently scrub the mould until all of it is removed.
Spray lightly with an antibacterial spray.
Use a fan to dry the surface immediately.
Tips and warnings
- Antibacterial spray will kill the mould spores that are too small to see. Spraying lightly will prevent oversaturation and avoid damaging, discolouring and warping the wood panel.
- Drying the surface immediately following the removal of the mould will encourage the wood to keep its shape instead of warping.
- After cleaning up the mould, take preventive measures to ensure that the mould will not grow again. Reduce or remove all moist conditions from the room. If removing or reducing the moisture conditions are impossible, set up a fan to circulate the air and blow in a rotating fashion.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for