Laminate flooring is popular in Europe and the United States. It is a type of flooring that can imitate wood, stone, tile and other materials. The surface of the flooring is a photographic image of the material it is imitating. The flooring is actually made of durable laminate plastic. Laminate flooring is considerably cheaper than buying real hardwood, tile or stone flooring. Measuring and buying the flooring is the first step in installing your new floors.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
Measure the length and width of the room.
Multiply these two numbers together to get the square footage. Add 10 per cent to this number to count for waste. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for each room.
Add together all of the square footage plus 10 per cent for each room.
Divide the total square feet by the number of square feet in each box of flooring. Depending on where you purchase your flooring from, this number will differ.
Use just the square footage number, not including the 10 per cent, to determine how much padding you will need.
Measure the width of doorways or any places where you will need transition pieces. Depending on where you purchase your flooring from, you will know how many pieces to order. Keep in mind these pieces can be cut to fit.
Measure the perimeter of each room to know how many skirting boards or beading you will need to go around the outside of each room to fill the gap between the flooring and the walls. Add 10 per cent t this number to count for waste.
Determine where you would like to purchase flooring. Research prices online and in home improvement stores. Discount flooring stores are also an option. Once you have decided on a location, ask if they offer bulk discounts. Buying more than you need is highly recommended.
Tips and warnings
- Use the flooring calculators in Resources to help measure your home.
- Make sure you buy extra flooring encase some of the planks need to be replaced in the future, especially if you bought your flooring because it was discontinued or on clearance. Chances are it will not be available for purchase in the future.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for