A flat screen TV is the focal point of the wall, and it can make almost anything next to it look diminished and silly. To balance the large impact of a flat screen TV, care must be taken when choosing the decor to put on the wall around it. Too many small items and the wall will look cluttered. Not enough items and the wall will look unfinished. Instead, choose items that extend the impact of the TV and compliment it.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Floating shelves
- Decorative items of your choice
- Black and white photographs or artwork
Hang floating shelves on either side of the flat screen TV. Not only will this create decorating space, but it will draw the eye outward and away from the TV. Choose shelves that match the finish of the TV. For example, sleek, black floating shelves will match most flat-screen televisions.
Place decorative items on the shelves. Use tall, interesting items, rather than small, crowded items. Tall tapered candles are a good idea, as are green plants and interesting vases or sculptures. Avoid anything that will detract from the clean, modern lines of the flat screen TV, such as a lot of dried flowers or stuffed animals.
Install some art above the shelves. One or two black and white photographs above each shelf will compliment the TV nicely. Avoid a large grouping of colourful family photos, as this will compete with the images on the flat screen TV.
Place some bookshelves under each floating shelf or under the TV itself if it is mounted on the wall. This will anchor the flat screen TV to the room and also provide you with a space to store your DVDs and other equipment, such as video games. To make it look more attractive, place wire or wicker baskets on the bookshelf to hold the items.
Tips and warnings
- Try placing a wall sconce (either electrical or candlelit) on either side of the flat screen TV instead of shelving if you need more lighting in the room.
- Add architectural detail by framing the TV with crown moulding. Then, paint inside of the moulding before you install the flat screen TV. This will set it apart from the rest of the wall.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for