Winter winds can cause flooring in mobile homes to become cold and draughty, especially if the mobile home skirting that surrounds the home is not insulated. Insulated mobile home skirting can be expensive and may be an unwanted purchase if the current skirting is still in good condition. Fortunately, it is very easy to insulate the skirting with just a few materials and a little bit of work.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Heavy-duty cleanser
- Scrub brush
- Utility knife
- Insulated foam board
- Contact cement, adhesive or staples
Remove the mobile home skirting that is in place. Make note of where each piece of skirting belongs around the trailer so it will fit back into the same place once it is insulated.
Clean the backside of the skirting with a heavy-duty cleanser and scrub brush to remove all dirt and debris. Rinse with water and allow to thoroughly dry.
Measure and use a utility knife to cut insulated foam board, or beadboard, to fit on each piece of skirting. When measuring, leave a 1-inch space of the mobile home skirting free so it will fit back into the tracks and support lines.
Attach insulated board to the backside of the skirting using contact cement, heavy-duty adhesive or staples. Allow the adhesive to dry before putting the insulated mobile home skirting back in place.
Tips and warnings
- Remove and insulate one side of the trailer's skirting at a time. This will make it easier to determine where each piece belongs.
- Choose an insulated foam board-style that will work best for your particular needs.
- Use insulated foam board that has a high R-value. The higher the R-value, the better the board will insulate from the elements.
- If attaching insulation board to skirting with staples, staple the board from the front side of the skirting to avoid having staple ends sticking out from the front.
- If using contact cement or adhesive to attach insulation board, choose a product that will not melt the foam board or the mobile home skirting.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for