Artificial topiaries make attractive, fashionable centrepieces at formal events such as weddings or dinner parties. Make your own topiary out of a few inexpensive and easily obtained materials. It's simple to do, and it will last much longer than a topiary made from a living plant.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small clay flowerpot
- Two 4-inch foam craft balls
- 10-inch wooden dowel
- Acrylic paint
- Kitchen knife
- Silk flowers
- Artificial moss and leaves
- Craft glue
Paint the flowerpot in any colour or pattern you find pleasing and let the pot dry completely. Decorate with ribbons, if desired.
Place one of the foam balls inside the flowerpot. Cut it down to size with a knife if it's too large. A serrated blade works best. Press one end of the dowel into the foam until the dowel can stand upright without assistance.
Press the second foam ball onto the other end of the dowel, until the dowel extends about halfway through the ball.
Paint the dowel green and let it dry.
Cover the foam in the base of the pot with artificial moss. Glue the moss in place.
Decorate the foam ball at the top of the rod with silk flowers and artificial leaves. Either stick the wired stems of the silk flowers directly into the foam, or glue them in place. Continue decorating until the white of the foam is completely covered with flowers and leaves.
Wrap ribbon around the dowel and tie into a bow.
Tips and warnings
- If the topiary is excessively light or top heavy, fill the base of the flowerpot with small stones or glass pebbles to weight it down.
- Experiment with using other foam shapes such as hearts or stars, which are often available at well-stocked craft stores. As another alternative, place multiple foam balls of varying sizes on a single dowel.
- For a whimsical look, decorate the foam ball with candy. Drive the sticks of lollipops into the foam to secure them in place. This would make an excellent centrepiece for a child's birthday party.
- Hot glue can melt foam. If you wish to use a glue gun to affix the flowers to the foam, test it on a small, hidden part of the foam first.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for