If you need to remove a Kryptonite lock but have misplaced the key, there is no need for a saw or a locksmith. Kryptonite locks with circular key pads can be easily opened with a ballpoint pen.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ballpoint pen
Disassemble a ballpoint pen. Use scissors to pry or cut off the end cap. Remove the ink tube from the pen.
Cut a few perpendicular lines in the pen casing near the edge where the end cap was removed. These lines will allow the plastic tube to flex and expand to fit into the circular keyhole of the lock.
Press the end of the pen into the keyhole. It may take a bit of force to push the pen into the locking mechanism. Make sure the pen is in a straight line with the lock as you insert it.
Hold the pen securely in one hand and the lock in the other. Jiggle the lock until you hear a click--this is the sound of the locking mechanism disengaging. Your lock should now open.
Tips and warnings
- Kryptonite will provide replacement keys for your lock. More information can be found on the Kryptonite website (see Resources).
- If you feel your lock is vulnerable to this method of picking, Kryptonite will provide you with a free lock upgrade.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for