A gap analysis report seeks to benchmark the performance of an organisation against target standards or goals. Any type of organisation or business can be effectively analysed using gap analysis methodology. According to Adams Sixth Sigma, all successful organisations have a process of gathering data and subjecting it to thorough gap analysis. Gap analysis is appropriately utilised when reviewing performance within all facets of an organisation. These can include, but are not limited to, information technology, business development, human resources and regulatory compliance.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Set of goals or standards for each phase of the organisation
- Detailed statistics relating to performance within each arena
- Analytical software capable of massaging large amounts of data
Analyse how performance-related data compares to benchmarks set within each constituent group comprising your organisation. Utilise objective numbers whenever possible, and avoid input of subjective assessments into your gap analysis model.
Identify deficiencies in each phase of the business against the promulgated targets. Quantify in tangible terms the extent of each shortcoming.
Determine if sufficient resources exist within the organisation in order to attain the target goals. Study individual performance data in order to ascertain if resource deficiencies relate to either quality or quantity.
Calculate the requisite additional resources needed in order to bring performance up to the organisation stated goals. Outline quality issues within the organisation current resources where applicable.
Seek input from the organisation personnel relating to the conclusions of the gap analysis report. Extrapolate from the data which areas within the organisation need focus, and devise a plan of action to close the gap between expected and actual performance.
Tips and warnings
- According to Business Consulting Buzz, the gap analysis methodology can be used effectively by both large and small businesses alike.
- Using a gap analysis report template can simplify the creation process.
- Be fastidious when collecting data, and remember to heed the old adage of "Garbage in, garbage out."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for