Millions of Americans have massive storage problems when it comes to shoes. Shoes are one of those things that are not easy to organise and end up everywhere. A solution to the shoe storage problem is to get a shoe cabinet. These cabinets allow you to store your shoes in an organised fashion in a nice piece of furniture.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Two pieces of 3/4-inch plywood that are 15 inches wide by 42 3/16 inches tall
- Seven pieces of 3/4-inch plywood that are 15 inches wide by 32 3/4 inches long
- One piece of 3/4-inch plywood that is 33 9/16 inches by 42 3/16 inches tall
- Two pieces of 3/4-inch plywood that are 41 3/16 inches tall by 16 13/16 inches wide
- Carpenters square
- Drill with screwdriver bit
- Wood screws
- Four concealed hinges
- Two handles
Make a rectangle with the two pieces of 3/4-inch plywood that are 15 inches wide by 42 3/16 inches tall and two of the pieces of 3/4-inch plywood that are 15 inches wide by 32 3/4 inches long. The smaller pieces are the top and bottom and the longer pieces are the sides. The top piece should be even with the top edges of the side pieces and the bottom piece should be offset from the bottom edge by 1 inch. Square up all corners and screw together.
Measure 6 inches up from the top of the bottom shelf in the interior of the cabinet and mark this location. This is where the bottom of the next shelf will be. Place one of the pieces of 3/4-inch plywood that are 15 inches wide by 32 3/4 inches long in the cabinet so the bottom is even with the mark. Make sure the board is square with the cabinet and screw in on the sides. Repeat this process for the rest of the shelves, making sure that there is always a 6-inch space in between shelves.
Place the piece of 3/4-inch plywood that is 33 9/16 inches by 42 3/16 inches tall on one side of the open cabinet frame. This is the back of the cabinet and should cover one side completely. Screw this piece into the cabinet frame along the edges.
Measure 9 3/4 inches from the top and bottom on either side of the interior of the cabinet and make a mark. Screw in your interior hinges at these marks
Attach the two pieces of 3/4-inch plywood which are 41 3/16 inches tall by 16 13/16 inches wide to the interior hinges. These are the doors to your cabinet. Attach the door handles to the cabinet doors on the opposite side of the doors from the hinges.
Tips and warnings
- While 3/4-inch plywood is durable and inexpensive, a good alternative to it might be cedar. Go to your lumber store and see what types of wood they have to make a good determination about what wood you would like to use.
- You may be tempted to put the back on the cabinet before the shelves. Try not to do this as it will only make the shelf installation difficult.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for