Outdoor water fountains help to create ambience and add beauty to gardens and lawns. However, a crack in a fountain can ruin the look and can cause water to leak into areas that may not be ready to handle water. Repair those cracks yourself and avoid having to hire a professional or buy a new fountain.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Protective gloves
- Liquid concrete, clear silicone or other sealant
- Caulking gun
- Putty knife or plastic scraper
Find the crack in your fountain. Remember that leaking water may run around the base or across the sides of your fountain, so be sure you find the crack before attempting any repair. Turn off the water to the fountain and allow it to dry before you attempt to patch the crack.
Insert a tube of sealant such as liquid concrete or clear silicone into a caulking gun, with the base of the tube resting against the movable platform. Cut off the tip of the nozzle so the hole is just slightly larger than the crack to be filled. Poke a nail or other sharp instrument into the tip of the tube to open it.
Squeeze the handle of the gun to distribute the sealant over the entire crack, then smooth the surface with a putty knife or small plastic scraper. Allow the sealant to dry, then turn the fountain back on and check to see that it no longer leaks.
Tips and warnings
- Check your fountains for cracks at regular intervals or at the first sign of trouble. Large-scale damage to an outdoor fountain will need to be repaired professionally or parts of the fountain will need to be replaced.
- Regular maintenance and care can prevent cracks in an outdoor fountain.
- Some fountains come with repair and colour kits in case of emergency. If you did not receive one, contact the manufacturer for tips or to purchase a repair kit.
- Wear protective gloves whenever you work with products containing chemicals or strong adhesives.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for