A miniature rose is a dwarf rose bush. The bush, leaves and flowers are all tiny. The rose blossoms can be the size of a quarter. Miniature roses grow from 6 to 36 inches tall. Miniature roses come in a variety of flower types and colours. They look good in hanging baskets and containers. One benefit of putting miniature roses in a container is that it saves space in the garden. It also allows for gardeners that cannot work on the ground to keep gardening roses in containers. The environment that the miniature roses are exposed to can be controlled by bringing the rose bush inside during rose unfriendly weather.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Potting soil
- Plant pot
- Miniature rose bush
Mix together equal portions of potting soil, compost and perlite. This creates a rich, well-draining soil mixture.
Fill your plant pot halfway with your soil mixture. Keep it loose at this point. Do not compact it yet. Hollow out a space in the middle for the rose roots.
Tilt your miniature rose bush on its side and carefully pull it out of its container. Try to keep as much of the soil on the root as possible. This will help reduce transplant-shock.
Set the rose bush in the new plant pot. Fill the rest of the space with more of the soil mixture.
Firm the soil in around the miniature rose bush. Water until it drains out the bottom of the plant pot. This helps settle the soil around the rose bush.
Tips and warnings
- Miniature rose bushes produce blossoms on new growth wood. Trim away old growth wood and dying blossoms to encourage an extended blooming season. This also prevents the rose bush from becoming straggly looking and keeps its compact growth.
- Water your miniature rose bush frequently. Containers tend to dry out quickly and roses like their soil moist. Check 1 inch below the top of the soil for dryness to see if it needs to be watered.
- Soil direct from the garden is not suitable to use in containers. The soil may contain weeds, pests and diseases. Garden soil also compacts down with repeated watering.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for