All drugs, whether prescription, over-the-counter or recreational, contain chemicals that may be toxic to the body. In some cases, the accumulated drug residue makes it difficult to stop using a drug, and the user may be addicted. Flushing drugs out of the system or detoxifying the body is beneficial to the entire body. A flush can take many forms.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fluids, such as water
- Fibre-rich foods
- Milk Thistle
- Uva Ursi
Drink water. A good way to flush out the body is with large amounts of fluids. Water, herbal teas, fruit juices and vegetable juices all can help remove drugs and other toxins from the system. Drink at least 1,892ml of fluids each day.
Lose fat. The body stores the accumulated toxins in fatty cells. The more fat you have, the more toxins are stored. Aerobic exercise is one of the best ways to burn fat, but any type of exercise that gets your heart pumping is useful. Try to exercise at least 3 times a week for 20 minutes. Exercising for longer periods of time and every day will accelerate the fat loss and toxin removal.
Eat fibre. Fibre-rich foods like fruits and green, leafy vegetables serve a few purposes. The body gets the nutrients it needs to carry out its various functions. Fibre also eliminates or reduces constipation. By adding bulk to the stool, you can have more frequent bowel movements. This removes the fecal matter in the intestines in a timely manner. There is some evidence that if toxins remain too long in the colon, the tissues may reabsorb some of the toxins.
Take Milk Thistle. The liver is a filtering organ that helps rid the body of toxins. If there are too many harmful toxins in the body, the liver cannot work as effectively. Milk Thistle is a popular herb for cleaning out the liver and is found in health food stores as a supplement. Follow the directions on the label.
Take Uva Ursi. The kidneys clean and filter the blood. The blood brings nutrients to all parts of the body and also removes wastes. The herb Uva Ursi cleans out the kidneys, making the organ more efficient. The wastes from the kidneys are sent to the bladder and then flushed out as urine. Uva Ursi is available as a supplement in health food stores. Follow the directions on the label.
Tips and warnings
- If you have any concerns about starting an exercise program or taking supplements with other prescribed drugs you are on, then talk to your doctor.
- A nutritionist is helpful in choosing the foods that are best for you and your detoxification.
- To learn more about the proper dosage of herbs and any possible interactions with prescribed drugs you are on, see a herbalist or a naturopathic physician.
- There may be side effects with any supplement, but they vary from person to person. To be safer, speak to your doctor first and/or start with the lowest dosage available to see how your body reacts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for