Making a meal in a slow cooker is incredibly simple, and this Chinese chicken recipe is no exception. The chicken can be eaten as-is with steamed vegetables, over rice or wrapped in lettuce leaves. This recipe takes at least two hours (but up to five) to cook completely in the slow cooker.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2-4 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 1-quart slow cooker
- 0.454kg. ground or cubed chicken
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and spring onions and sauté them for one to two minutes. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
Add the raw chicken to the slow cooker. Mix the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and cider vinegar and pour them over the chicken in the cooker.
Place the lid on the cooker and cook the Chinese chicken. If the slow cooker is set to high, the dish will require two to three hours to cook completely. If the slow cooker is set to low, it will be ready in four to five hours. The chicken should be cooked all the way through; if it is pink in the centre, let it go a bit longer.
Whisk together the cornstarch and water. Drop the heat on the slow cooker to low, then stir in the cornstarch mixture. Allow the Chinese chicken to heat for an additional 15 minutes on low, or until the sauce thickens.
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips and warnings
- If desired, add diced hard vegetables to the slow cooker with the chicken. Good choices include carrots, celery and water chestnuts. Avoid vegetables that could become mushy, such as broccoli.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for