Making bath bombs with children is a fun way to get them involved with bath time or making gifts for friends, along with learning about measurement. There aren't any difficult ingredients to work with, and bath bombs are kid-friendly.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 2 tbsp glycerine soap
- 2 tsp fragrant essential oils such as lavender, eucalyptus or mint
- Food colouring
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Waxed paper
- Molds (optional)
- Witch hazel in a spray bottle (optional)
Gather all materials needed before starting to mix ingredients. Help children measure out dry ingredients and have the wet ones ready to use.
Pour all dry ingredients--baking soda, cornstarch and citric acid--into a mixing bowl. Have children mix these ingredients well with a mixing spoon or a wire whisk. Help children by drizzling in wet ingredients.
Let children use their hands to mix the ingredients. Once the mixture starts to hold together, it is ready to mould. If the mixture still feels too dry, add additional glycerine.
If using a mould, have children press the mixture into the mould, packing tightly. If no moulds are available to use, children can press the mixture into balls using their hands.
Gently turn over moulds and tap out bath bombs onto a tray covered in waxed paper. Bath bombs moulded by hand should also be placed on waxed paper after they are formed. Place bath bombs in a dry spot and leave for 24 hours. The moulded bath bombs can be misted with witch hazel spray to create a hard outside coating, which will protect bath bombs from breaking
Tips and warnings
- The harder the bath bombs are packed and formed, the more dense and solid they will be, which creates a more successful bath bomb.
- Making sure to really mix the dry ingredients to produce a super-fizzy bath bomb and keep them from being grainy.
- Try to keep bath bombs from getting too moist, as they will begin to fizz and not mould properly.
- Only use a couple drops of food colouring, as too much may make the mixture too wet.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for