ActiveX is a tool that allows web developers to run scripts inside a website to stream sound clips, video files, or other types of media. ActiveX is automatically installed with each version of Internet Explorer, however you still need to configure the security settings and then download specific ActiveX controls from any web page you visit. Mozilla Firefox does not automatically support ActiveX controls however, so you will need to install a third party add-on to view ActiveX information.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Click the "Tools" option at the top-right end of the browser's window. Select "Internet Options."
Navigate to the "Security" tab. Click the "Security Level" slider and change it either to "Medium High" or "Medium."
Click "Apply" and then click "OK." Navigate to a website that uses an ActiveX control.
Wait for the ActiveX control bar to appear at the top of the window. Click the control bar and select "Install ActiveX".
Click "Help" and choose "About Mozilla Firefox." Note down the version of Firefox you are using.
Navigate to a web page that has an ActiveX plug in download (see Resources). Choose the download link for the ActiveX plug in that corresponds to version of Firefox you have.
Click the control tab that appears at the top of the browser. Select "Allow" and then click "Install Now."
Click the "Tools" option and then click "Add-ons." Navigate to the "Extensions" tab. Click the add-on named "Mozilla Firefox ActiveX Plugin."
Click the "Enable" button at the bottom of the window. Navigate to a website that uses an ActiveX control. Click the control bar at the top of the window and select "Download."
Tips and warnings
- There is not currently an ActiveX add-on for version 3.0 or higher of the Mozilla Firefox browser. If you are using a version of Firefox that isn't compatible with the add on you can delete your current version and install a previous version (see Resources).
- ActiveX controls can potentially contain malicious code to install harmful files on your computer. Download ActiveX controls at your own risk.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for