As home decor becomes more simple and artsy, many people have forgone a traditional bed frame for something more useful. These frames can be anything from huge pieces of furniture to a very minimal one. A great way to hold your mattress is to build a box frame. These bed frames sit low on the ground and are sturdy enough to not need a box spring. The box frame is an easy frame to build yourself.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 pieces of 2-inch-by-12-inch boards which are 6 feet, 10 inches long
- 2 pieces of 2-inch-by-12-inch boards which are 5 feet long
- 4 pieces of 4-inch-by-4-inch wood which is 6 inches long
- 1 piece of 2-inch-by-6-inch board which is 5 feet long
- 2 pieces of 2-inch-by-6-inch board which are 3 feet, 3 inches long
- 1 piece of 3/4-inch plywood which is 5 feet by 6 feet, 8 inches long
- Drill with a screwdriver bit
- Wood screws
- Measuring tape
Take the pieces of 5-foot and 6-foot, 10-inch 2-inch-by-12-inch boards and make a rectangle with the 2-inch side of the boards on the ground and the shorter pieces in between the longer ones. Screw the rectangle together using three screws in each joint.
Place the 4-inch-by-4-inch posts in the corners so that they stand 6 inches tall. Screw the posts into the frame using three screws on each side.
Use the measuring tape and measure 3 feet, 5 inches along the longer side of the rectangle. This is the centre point of this board. Place the 5-foot-long piece of 2-inch-by-6-inch board inside the rectangle, straddling this mark so the brace is running down the centre. Make sure the board is on the ground, sitting on the 2-inch edge. Screw the board in at this point.
Measure 2 feet, 8 inches from the end of the shorter side into the centre. Place your 3-foot, 3-inches piece in the centre of the rectangle, at this mark, and on either side of the centre brace. Screw all the braces to the rectangle frame.
Place the piece of plywood in the frame on top of the posts and the braces. Screw the plywood in the corners and along the centre to secure to the frame.
Tips and warnings
- This bed frame is the perfect size for a queen-size bed. If you need other sizes, measure the mattresses and make your shorter piece of 2-inch-by-12-inch board match the width of the mattress.
- Add bracings to be sure your bed frame is sturdy enough to hold the weight.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for