Drawer hardware can enhance the capabilities of a kitchen. European drawer slides are among the best and have a long life. There are several different models of the slides. If the need is for the drawer to come completely out of the cabinet (full extension) or to withstand the use of heavy pots and pans on a pull-out shelf, the European side mount drawer slides will work well.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Variable speed drill
- Philips head screw tip
- Torpedo level
Lay out one set of the European side mount drawer slides. Two of them are flat for the inside of the cabinet face frame. Two are "L" shaped for the drawer itself.
Place the flat ones against each other so that the wheels are touching. The top of the slide is recognisable by the open area above the wheel. This will reveal which is installed on the left and which is for the right.
Secure the front of the flat slide to the inside of the face frame opening for the drawer with the variable speed drill and one screw. This is to allow for adjustment of the slide if needed. Place the slide just above the bottom rail and just behind the face of the drawer opening of the face frame. Repeat this for the other slide.
Place the "L" shaped slide on the sides at the bottom of the drawer box. Make sure the wheels are at the back of the drawer. Install at least four screws to each slide with the variable speed drill.
Place the torpedo level on top of the drawer slide in the cabinet. Level the slide and install one screw in the oblong screw hole. Repeat this for the other slide in the cabinet.
Insert the drawer into the drawer opening of the face frame and push the drawer in until the back of the drawer front meets the front of the cabinet. If the drawer front hits smoothly against the face frame, no adjustments are needed and you can install the remaining screws in the drawer slides on the cabinet. If not, adjust as necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Read through the installation process a few times if this is your first try with European side mount drawer slides.
- Use the screws that came with the slides as others could cause the system to be sluggish or catch when in use.
- Do not leave power tools unattended in the presence of children.
- Do not overtighten the screws, as this will compromise the strength of the drawer system.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for