The homemade robot costume is a classic. With so many ways to configure a robot and make it look realistic, the robot costume is a hit with kids and adults alike.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Box, cardboard or plastic, large enough to cover torso
- Plastic bucket
- 8-inch to 10-inch dryer vent accordion tubing, in black or silver
- Two flat tissue boxes
- Two black or silver gloves
- Scissors or razor knife
- Coloured construction paper
- One or two cans silver spray paint
- Measuring tape
- Safety pins
- Black trousers
Using a marker, place the bucket over the head and mark the bucket where holes should be for eyes. Cut a shape for the eyes, in a square, round or visor shape.
Remove the handle from the bucket. Spray paint the outside of the bucket silver and allow it to dry.
Cut one side of the torso box out completely to allow for easy assembly. Mark and cut holes for the arms on either side of the torso box.
Cover the exterior of the box with tinfoil and secure with tape. Using construction paper and markers, make a control panel and lights for the robot's chest.
Measure the length of the legs and arms. Trim matching lengths of dryer vent tubing to cover the limbs.
Carefully cut the bottom of each tissue box to allow for shoes to touch the ground for traction. Enlarge the boxes' holes to fit on feet. Cover the tissue boxes with tinfoil.
Put on black trousers and pull on dryer vent tubing over them. Secure at the top with three or four safety pins per leg.
Secure dryer vent tubing at the arms by taping it to the box.
Pull on the robot torso and arms. Put on the bucket helmet and gloves.
Making a Robot Costume
Tips and warnings
- Robots can be made in any colour, but black and silver are most popular.
- You can paint an expression on your robot's helmet and add an antenna, if you wish.
- Be sure to wait until the paint is dry to put the bucket over the head.
- Ensure that there is ample air supply to the robot helmet.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for