Food colouring is any digestible substance that can be used to alter the colour of a food or drink. While there are special bottles of colouring that you can purchase and use to colour your food, you can also use other food items to colour food or drink. Using food colouring to create dark brown is a little bit trickier than some other colours, but not impossible. Dark brown can be used to give cake frosting a richer look.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 29.6ml. bottle of black food colouring
- 28.4gr. bottle of brown food colouring
- 28.4gr. bottle of blue food colouring
- 28.4gr. bottle of yellow food colouring
- 28.4gr. bottle of red food colouring
- 1 tsp of brown gel paste food colouring
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 992gr dark chocolate bars
- 1 small sauce pan
- 1 container of white cake frosting
- 2 spoons
- 1 small plastic container
Mix a 29.6ml bottle of yellow and 28.4gr bottle of blue food colouring to get green in a plastic container, then mix a 28.4gr bottle of red to that. If it still is not dark brown enough for what you want, add a few drops of black food colouring. Add your dark brown food colouring mix to your white frosting.
Mix a 28.4gr bottle of regular brown food colouring with five drops of black food colouring in a plastic container, then stir it into your white frosting. This is one of the simplest ways to get dark brown food colouring to add to your frosting and eliminates having to mix a lot of colours together and hoping it comes out right.
Melt two 992gr dark chocolate bars in a pan and stir them into your white frosting before frosting your cake or cookies. Your frosting should now be dark brown, but you can add a few drops of black food colouring if you want it darker.
Add 1 teaspoon of brown gel paste food colouring to your frosting to turn it a dark brown colour. Because this is a gel you don't need much to turn your frosting the colour you want.
Add one-half cup of dark brown sugar to your white frosting and stir it together. This is going to make the frosting super sweet, so it might not be the best choice for children.
Add one-half cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to your frosting and then stir it well. Your frosting should now be a nice dark brown colour and, because the cocoa powder is unsweetened, you don't have to worry about added sugar.
Tips and warnings
- Make your frosting from scratch if you are going to use dark brown sugar to colour it dark brown; this way you can control the amount of sugar in it. Dissolve your one-half cup of unsweetened cocoa powder in one-half cup of warm milk and then add it to your frosting to colour it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for