Sometimes the energy in a home may feel heavy or uncomfortable. If you have moved into a new home, you may even experience bouts of depression or become prone to accidents or misfortune. This may be a sign that your home needs to be cleansed of bad energy. Bad energy can enter a home in many ways. It may be negative energy from previous owners or from the outside world.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Buckets of clean water
- Cleaning supplies
- Dust rags
- Non-paraffin candles
- Plastic cups
- Rock salt
- Smudge wands or incense sticks
- Tibetan bells or singing bowl
- Sea salt bath
Remove clutter. Get rid of unwanted furniture or items you no longer need.
Clean the home thoroughly by mopping, dusting and vacuuming every room.
Remove the clothes, shoes, and jewellery you were wearing while cleaning; these may have absorbed some of the bad energy. Wash your hands and arms.
Open doors, windows, cabinets and closets to allow good energy (chi) to flow through your home.
Turn off all electrical appliances.
Light non-paraffin candles and place them in the entryway and in every room of your home.
Sprinkle the rock salt in the entryway and corners of each room or place a plastic cup of rock salt in the centre of each room.
Walk to the main entrance and clap with your arms extended to dispel old and negative energy. While clapping, walk slowly around the perimeter of each room. Be sure to clap around electrical appliances and in room corners.
Light the smudge stick or incense wand and move through each room. Let the purifying smoke fill each room.
Move slowly through each room in your home while ringing Tibetan bells or singing bowls.
Extinguish the candles, but allow the rock salt to remain in place for at least 24 hours. Close all open windows and doors.
Smudge yourself and soak in a tub with sea salt.
Tips and warnings
- In feng shui and many other cleansing rituals, salt is a purifying agent used to attract stagnant energies or "sha chi."
- You can perform the clapping ritual in the feng shui style. Start in a squatting position near the floor and begin to clap. Continue clapping and end in an upright position with hands over your head.
- Hang a bagua mirror in your home after performing the cleansing ritual.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for