Budding seafarers old and young will enjoy the look and flavour of a chocolate-laden ship as it sails on the high seas. Cater to their tastes with a simple pirate ship birthday cake that can serve as the centrepiece of any pirate party. Complement the cake with pirate costumes, rum or root beer and perhaps some sword fighting for a truly memorable event.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Two baked 9-inch or 10-inch round cakes
- Chocolate frosting
- Four Hershey's chocolate bars
- Seven 10 inch long wooden skewers
- 12-16 Rollo candies
- 6-8 candles
- Pirate flags
- Malted milk balls
- Reese's Pieces
- Large serving platter
- Blue frosting
- Gummy sharks and other sea life
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Pirate figurines
Cut the two round cakes in half. Frost each half with a thin layer of chocolate frosting and stack them together. The frosting works like an adhesive to keep the cakes together. Place them on a flat surface with the rounded side facing upward.
Trim the rounded portion of the cakes with a knife to create a flat surface. Flip the cakes over.
Cover the cakes with chocolate frosting. Chill the cake in the freezer for 20 minutes to allow frosting to harden.
Press Hershey's chocolate squares into the sides of the ship to create the illusion of wooden planks.
Cut three or four skewers in half. Attach two Rollo candies to the end of each half and move them down the skewer ¼ inch. Attach a candle to the end of the skewer. Press the skewer into the cake to create cannons.
Attach pirate flags to three skewers with tape. Insert these into the tops of the cake.
Decorate with malted milk ball cannon balls and piles "gold" booty (orange and yellow Reese's pieces).
Frost a large serving platter with blue frosting. Decorate with gummy sharks and other gummy sea life. Create an island out of graham cracker crumb "sand." Place the decorated pirate ship onto the platter.
Add plastic pirate figurines to the ship and island.
Tips and warnings
- Place moist cakes in the freezer for 20 minutes before carving.
- Name the ship after the birthday person by writing the name on the side of the cake with a frosting pen.
- If the frosting is too soft, it may be difficult to stick Hershey's candies to the side. Freeze the cake longer if necessary to prevent this result.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for