Branding irons are simply pieces of metal that you heat and use to brand, or sear, a material. You can brand leather, wood, cloth, meat and even skin (although that is not recommended). A simple and creative way of making your own brand is to use a piece of metal coat hanger. With a few tools, you can create your own unique branding iron for whatever purpose you choose.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wire coat hanger
- Wire cutters
- Needle-nosed pliers
Cut off the twisted hook section off a wire coat hanger with a pair of wire cutters. Throw the hook away.
Pull the rest of the hanger into a straight line with your hands and use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to make it even straighter.
Leave 12 inches of one side of the hanger for your handle.
Draw a design on a piece of paper that approximates the size and shape of the brand you want to create. The line must be continuous: Do not lift your pencil off the paper.
Use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to twist and bend your hanger into your design. Make the design flat by hammering it against a solid surface. Bend the handle so it hangs off the brand part at a 90-degree angle.
Tips and warnings
- Hold the iron over heat for at least 60 seconds before attempting to brand anything.
- Hold the brand with a piece of cloth or oven glove when heating it to prevent burns on your hand.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for