A passport is an essential form of identification if you want to travel outside the United States. It not only serves as an ID, but it also proves that you are an American citizen. However, if your passport does not contain correct information, it could result in travel delays or detainment. Fortunately, it is easy to correct errors that may have been printed on your passport.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Form DS-5504
- Valid passport
- Certified birth certificate
Obtain Form DS-5504. You can find this form online on the U.S. Department of State's website or from a local passport agency.
Complete the form, ensuring that all information is true and correct.
Submit the form, along with the required documents. You must include your valid passport, the form and a certified birth certificate to change an inaccurate birthday. If your valid passport was issued more than 90 days prior to submitting the correction, you must also provide two new passport photos.
Tips and warnings
- If you need to expedite the process, enclose a check for £39 and clearly write "EXPEDITE" on the envelope.
- The State Department highly suggests sending your documents via United States Postal Service Priority Mail with either signature confirmation or delivery confirmation.
- This process may take four to six weeks to complete, so ensure that you allow enough time before your scheduled travel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for